106|POWERBI – Banks Blowing Up

BYU Student Author: @DylanKing
Reviewers: @Spencer, @Boston, @TylerBooth
Estimated Time to Solve: 20 Minutes

We provide the solution to this challenge using:

• Power BI

Need a program? Click here.

Overview
Panic begins to spread as news breaks that Silicon Valley Bank and Credit Suisse Bank are collapsing. As a young investment analyst at a regional bank, you and your coworkers worry about how much trouble your bank and the entire industry are in. Your manager has called for an all-hands-on-deck meeting to discuss the severity of these current events.

Your immediate supervisor is aware of your skills in data visualization and has volunteered you to create a few graphs for the meeting. You are given access to a data set that contains information on banks that have failed between 2000 and 2020. You decide to create visualizations to help illustrate a brief history of the great financial crisis.

Instructions

1. The first graph you decide to create is a line chart. With this line chart, you want to show the number of failed banks by quarter. After a quick examination of the data, you decide to focus on the years 2007-2016 as you see this is the timeframe with the most consistent failures. You also decide to add in a YTD total shown in the tooltips so that you can easily show how many bank failures happened in total that specific year. Format your visual to a point where you would feel confident showing it to your coworkers.
  2. The second graph you decide to create is a map. Your goal with this map is to clearly show which states had the most banks fail. Again, you decide to focus on the years 2007-2016 to maintain uniformity between graphs. Once your map shows the number of failed banks by state, format your bubbles so that there is a gradient clearly showing which states had the most bank failures. Again, format your visual to a point where you would feel confident showing it to your coworkers.
  3. Lastly, you are the expert. Take the time to look at the data you were provided and create a new visualization for this meeting. Your visualization should show a relationship or provide some insight into this bank failure history that you would like to share with your coworkers. Share in the comments below what new visualization you chose to create. Also, share any unique ways you formatted your visualizations.

Data Files

Suggestions and Hints

In the first visualization, to create the running year-to-date total that is to be shown in the tooltips, I created a new quick measure. Be sure to use a distinct count rather than a general count.

Solution

This felt like a good challenge to reawaken and brush up my PowerBI, especially in terms of formatting tools. I suppose the number of bank failures spiking in 2008 was to be expected! The main unique formatting I did was focusing on color contrast instead of going with PowerBIs default colors.

Time to Complete: 25-30 minutes
Rating: Beginner to Intermediate
This exercise was good, and helped me to get more familiar with formatting tools. I ended spending an extra couple minutes on formatting for colors and placement. Good exercise!

Time to Complete: 20 minutes
Rating: Beginner to Intermediate
This was a great exercise to help familiarize myself with the formatting tools and features of PowerBI.