63|UIPATH – SkyBridgeX SkyLine

BYU Student Author: @MitchFrei
Reviewers: @klayton, @TylerBooth
Estimated Time to Solve: 75 Minutes

We provide the solution to this challenge using:

• UiPath Studio

Need a program? Click here.

Overview
You’ve taken a leap of faith! You have been working as a structural engineer for a decade now, and you have always worked for someone else. You have always thought about quitting your job and doing freelance work as a contractor, but now you’ve finally done it. Your first major client is a company called SkyBridgeX, which makes premium glass foot bridges. You bill them hourly for projects you work on and submit an invoice every 2 weeks. You keep track of your hours on an excel sheet then fill out their invoice template before emailing it to them. This process takes a few minutes every pay period – but with your automation skills, you know it’s possible with just a click of a button.

Instructions
Automate your invoice process in UiPath. Follow these steps:

1. Read in the Hours sheet from the Hour_Log Excel workbook as a data table
  2. Filter the data table to include only dates in the current pay period
    • Include user inputs to enter the start date and end date of the pay period. Assume that the pay period is 03/26/2023 - 04/08/2023
  3. Add a column to the data table for bill rate. Each row in the data table will include the same bill rate so that the calculations in the invoice template can multiply the hours by the bill rate for each row. Enter whatever hourly rate you think your engineering services are worth :slight_smile:
  4. Copy the SkyBridgeX_Invoice_Template and title it Invoice – Your Name – Today’s Date
  5. Fill in the newly created invoice with all relevant data
    • Enter your name in cell A3
    • Enter today’s date in cell E3
    • Enter the data table in cell A16
  6. Save the workbook
  7. As an extra challenge, email the invoice to Payble@SkyBridgeX.com

Data Files

Packages Hints
  • You need to make sure that UiPath.Excel.Activites, UiPath.Mail.Activities, UiPath.System.Activites are installed on your UiPath (select Manage Packages on the Design tab).
  • Please note that the packages in the solution file may be an older version, so the activities and code may be slightly different.
Dates Hints
  • You will need to convert the user input for start date and end date to a datetime object. Use the following code with an Assign activity: DateTime.ParseExact(StartDate, “MM/dd/yyyy”, Nothing)
  • Return today’s date as a string with the following code: Today.ToString(“mm-DD-YYYY”)
Email Hints
  • You can use a “Send SMTP Mail Message” to send an email. If you’re using Gmail, the Port is 587 and the server is smtp.gmail.com. If you have dual factor authentication enabled, you will need to either disable it, or generate an application-specific password for UiPath.

Solution

You will need to adjust the file paths and email username and password for the solution file to run successfully.

Challenge63_Solution.xaml
Solution Video: Challenge 63|UIPATH – SkyBridgeX SkyLine

This was pretty challenging. I found most of the correct tools but configuring them and using them all together required me to walk along with the solution video. Here’s the invoice output!
Invoice - Sanford Porter -12-06-2023.xlsx (13.1 KB)

Overall was a fun challenge. I couldn’t figure out how to get the email to work and it took watching through the video a couple times to debug all of the issues I encountered. Here’s my invoice output:
Ben Shaw - 12-06-2023.xlsx (13.1 KB)

This was a difficult challenge, but after some troubleshooting, I was able to get it to work.
Invoice - Nick Mangum- 12-06-2023.xlsx (13.0 KB)

Mimi Haddock - 12-06-2023.xlsx (13.1 KB)

This was definitely a challenge, but with some debugging I was able to figure it out!

2 Likes

Invoice - Andrew Houston - 12-06-2023.xlsx (13.1 KB)
This was definitely a tough challenge, but I feel like it did help me get a better idea of what the major tools we’ve been working with do and how they connect. It took me a long time to figure out a couple of things, like how with the Write Range tool you have to make sure it is from the excel section and not the workbook section.

Invoice-Linnea-12-06-2023.xlsx (13.0 KB)

Invoice - Tyler Hughes - 12-07-2023.xlsx (13.1 KB)
This was ridiculously hard and I was very ill prepared to complete this assignment. I had to use the video and follow along to complete.

2 Likes

What a great challenge!
WheatleyChallenge63Invoice.xlsx (13.4 KB)
I attached my invoice. The UiPath folder is difficult to upload.

challange63- warren.xlsx (9.6 KB)
Great challange!

Invoice - John Williams - 12-07-2023.xlsx (13.4 KB)
Good Challenge!

Invoice_RachelGill_12-09-2023.xlsx (14.2 KB)
This was a great challenge.

Invoice – Kazuki Nakano12-07-2023.xlsx (13.1 KB)

It’s cool that UiPath automates all the tedious things.

2 Likes

Invoice – Zach Dullum12-07-2023.xlsx (13.0 KB)
Great use of RPA! I found some of this pretty challenging, but I am glad to have watched the debugging video beforehand!

Invoice - Josh Barlow - 12-07-2023.xlsx (13.1 KB)

This was pretty hard for me, I don’t think I’d have been able to do it without the walkthrough.

Invoice-HallieAnderson12-07-2023.xlsx (13.1 KB)
Yeah that was really hard. Learned about debugging and the assignment activity.

Invoice-Matthew Inkley-12-07-2023.xlsx (13.1 KB)
The debugging video we had to watch before this challenge was pretty helpful. I liked being able to skip errors and come back to them.

This challenge was very difficult for me but I learned a lot of new tools to use in UiPath.
Invoice - Christian Stover - 12-07-2023.xlsx (13.1 KB)

This one was a challenge! I definitely got some practice debugging, though.
Invoice - Megan Bassett - 12-07-2023.xlsx (14.2 KB)

This one was challenging, but the debug videos were helpful.

Techhub12-07-2023.xlsx (13.4 KB)